Maria Swanenburg (better known as, ‘Good Maria’) was born September 9, 1839, in Leiden, Netherlands. She earned the nickname Good Maria as a result of her eagerness to help friends and family in her poverty-stricken neighbourhood. What no one knew was, over the course of nearly 20 years, ‘Good Maria’ is believed to have poisoned at least 65 people by adding arsenic into their food or drink. Among her first victims – her very own mother and father! In December 1883, ‘Good Maria’ was arrested after poisoning the Frankhuizen family. She was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in jail – where she eventually died – in 1915. What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Nothing really. That said, while we have your attention, we’d like to tell you about Match and Fable’s newest role – a Senior Law Clerk in Toronto.
POSITION: SENIOR LAW CLERK LOCATION: TORONTO INDUSTRY: LEGAL
Our client a prominent Canadian business law firm providing strategic legal and business advice in all areas of business law. They’re located in the heart of Toronto’s financial district and are looking for a Senior Law Clerk. The Senior Law Clerk will have an in-depth knowledge of corporate law. Working in our client’s Corporate Services Department they will be responsible for complex corporate reviews and related due diligence, as well as preparing corporate structure charts and documentation relating to mergers, acquisitions & financing … etc. RESPONSIBILITIES
· Perform substantive, legal and administrative duties while coordinating and assisting lawyers with matters
· Conduct complex corporate reviews and related due diligence in connection with transactions, recommendations, and draft rectification materials
· Prepare and file articles and corporate documentation relating to routine and complex incorporations, amendments, continuances, amalgamations, dissolutions, changes in corporate structure and transactions governed by the Business Corporations Act (Ontario), Canada Business Corporations Act, Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, and the Corporations Act (Ontario)
· Prepare documentation related to mergers, acquisitions, financings, share/asset purchase and sale transactions and tax reorganizations
· Routine minute book documentation (ie annual resolutions, changes to directors, officers, registered office address, dividends, share provisions, etc.)
· Formulate/ file business name, partnership and limited partnership registrations, amendments & renewals
· Prepare / file extra-provincial and territorial registrations, amendments, and annual returns on behalf of corporations, partnerships and limited partnerships as required by the various provinces and territories
· Prepare / file annual returns, Forms 1 and 2 as required by the Corporations Information Act (Ontario)
· Consult with lawyers and clients and assist in identifying necessary or appropriate corporate documentation, searches and filing requirements in connection with the completion of transactions
· Provide / coordinate support to lawyers in connection with large closing documents, searches, reports etc.
· Mentor and establish training relationships with junior + intermediate clerks within corporate services team
· Maintain corporate information in CorpLink database
· 10+ years’ experience – relevant to the responsibilities above (preferably with a large firm)
· Completion of the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Certification
· Membership (in good standing) with Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario
· In depth knowledge and understanding of the corporate statutes
· Superior computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, CorpLink, EnAct, Cyberbahn + Adobe)
· Flexibility to work outside regular business hours … when necessary
· Please note: our client has a vaccination policy and can only entertain fully vaccinated candidates
SALARY RANGE: $90,000 – $110,000
OTHER: benefits + vacation + professional programs
INTERESTED? If so … there are 3 things we need from you;
1. Send your resume to Mate Pavkovic at email@example.com.
2. Ensure subject line of email reads; GOOD MARIA – 26G22MTCHFBL
3. In a short email, tell Mate why you should be considered for this position.