In the early 1800’s, there were two options for sending mail to California. The first option was via ship – taking months at sea to be delivered.
The second option was substantially faster – only 25 days (via stagecoach)!
In April 1860, three enterprising gentlemen recognized the need for a better alternative.
They called it – The Pony Express.
They organized a small army of horsemen and built a chain of 200 relief stations – spanning from Missouri to California.
The horsemen would ride between relief stations, handing their mail bags off to a new courier, every 100 miles or so. This ingenious solution reduced average delivery times to a blazingly quick – 10 days!
Interestingly, in order to keep the loads on the horses as light as possible, they only hired men weighing between 100 and 125 pounds. (The same weight as a modern-day jockey). And, while the average age of a rider was 20 years old, it wasn’t uncommon for teenagers as young as 14 years-old to be employed!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s role? Well, nothing really.
That said, while you’re here, Janna French’s client is looking for a General Manager with leadership experience to run a bustling Distribution Center in Calgary, Alberta.
POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER INDUSTRY: 3PL / LOGISTICS LOCATION: CALGARY, ALBERTA
· Manage all aspects of the Distribution Center including, facilities + employee staffing + employee reviews
· Responsible for all financial information including weekly flash reports, budgeting + P&L statements
· Manage a warehouse of approximately 100,000 – 200,000 sq. ft. – containing hazardous materials
· Ensure accounts receive full, requested productivity + quality levels
· 7+ years overall experience – at a leadership level
· Experience managing a 100,000+ sq. ft. hazardous materials warehouse / DC with revenues of $1MM+ – comprised of multiple clients
· Experience managing distribution, storage + handling of hazardous materials per WHMIS & ISO regulations
· Skilled in risk assessment & analysis of potential hazards
· Proficient in T-Logic or similar warehouse operating system + MS Office Suite
· Experience with (Maves, Manhattan, Red Prairie, Foresite) Warehouse Management Systems (preferred)
· MUST HAVE: Kronos + labour management experience
· Working knowledge of warehouse + mechanical equipment
· Working knowledge of OHSA, DOT, WHMIS, RDC, IWLA, regulations / standards and willingness to become certified in one or more of these areas, as deemed necessary
· Excellent supervisory + customer service + mathematical & analytical skill sets
· Dangerous Goods certification (IATA)
· NFPA training + membership to understand fire codes for proper storage
· Transportation of Dangerous Good Certification + understanding of Dangerous Goods segregation table
· Ability to be “on-call” at all times for alarm system or problems – during off work hours
· Ability to work irregular or extended hours, when necessary
SALARY: $115,000 – $125,000 MBO: 15% OF SALARY
ON-TARGET EARNINGS: $132,250 – $141,250
OTHER: benefits + rrsp WHAT NOW? If you’re qualified for this role, the ball is in your court.
1: Email your resume to Janna French at; firstname.lastname@example.org.
2: Ensure the subject line reads; PONY EXPRESS (14J22MTCHFBL)
3: Based on the job description … explain how you fit this role.