The Red Hand has long been a cultural symbol representing the Province of Ulster, in Northern Ireland.
As one legend of its origin has it, once upon a time, there was a king who had two sons.
To determine which of his sons would succeed him on the throne, they agreed to a competition.
The conest would be a boat race, around an island – and back to shore.
The first to lay a hand on the shoreline would be declared the winner – and “king-in-waiting”!
The boats set-off on the race and for the most part, remained ‘neck-and-neck’.
As they rounded the island, heading back to shore, one of the boats started pulling ahead.
Quickly approaching the finish line, the brother in the trailing vessel realized he was about to lose.
Desperate and refusing to surrender, he grabbed his sword and in one mighty stroke, chopped off his own hand!
He threw it (red and bloody) onto the beach – sealing his victory!
What does this have to do with Match and Fable’s latest role?
Nothing really. However, while you’re here we’d like to tell you about Mate Pavkovic’s latest mandate. Mate’s client is looking for a Senior Associate (Litigation) for our client’s practice, located in Toronto.
SUMMARY: Our client is a successful award-winning commercial litigation law firm located in the heart of the financial district in downtown Toronto. Our client provides cost-effective legal solutions to various litigation disputes including employment, contract, construction and real property disputes. POSITION: SENIOR ASSOCIATE (LITIGATION) INDUSTRY: LEGAL OFFICE: TORONTO, ONTARIO
· Provide high quality legal services to clientele
· Represent clients at various proceedings including motions, applications, pre-trials, and trials
· Conduct mediations + examinations for discovery / cross examinations
· Ensure clients are updated and aligned with legal strategy
· Develop / maintain excellent client relationships, while earning trust from other professionals
· Provide legal advice and decide on most appropriate strategy, going forward
· Offer advice on the law, legal procedures + a wide range of associated issues
· Ensure docket entries are recorded or assigned to client files, as per practice standards
· Draft motion / application records, affidavits, factum, mediation and pre-trial conference memorandums
· Research and case history to ensure accuracy of advice and procedures
· Represent clients in tribunals and in Courts, where required
· Oversee / mentor team members such as paralegals, junior associates, and law clerks
· Minimum 5 years’ experience relevant to responsibilities above, preferably at a civil litigation law firm
· Licensed, and in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
· Ability to identify effective file strategy + manage multiple complex client files with minimal supervision
· Ability to comprehend complex matters + identify the applicable laws
· Ability to use initiative and exercise judgment in identifying issues requiring immediate attention
· Robust knowledge of legal procedures + committed to keeping updated with the current developments
· Proficient in use of legal and productivity technology and able to maintain, update and modify documents needed for court presentations
· Desire to participate in business development opportunities by attending / joining appropriate networking events / memberships, participating in webinars and writing blogs
· Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines and draft correspondence and legal documents
· Strong administrative, organizational, interpersonal + communication skills (oral & written)
· Must be entrepreneurial and bringing own files (preferred)
· Must possess a desire for excellence, passion for advocacy, and superior customer service skills
· Deep appreciation and practical knowledge of Rules of Professional Conduct, Rules of Civil Procedure, and the Courts of Justice Act
(Preference given to candidates who provide copies of any public endorsements from court appearances)
SALARY: $150,000 – $225,000
OTHER: for candidates who have established client base, renumeration will also be based on those receivables
Active involvement in our community with opportunities to volunteer
WFH + flexible start and finish times
Possibility for partnership after a year of working at the firm
Discretionary bonus pay based on performance + apportion of client receivables WHAT NOW? If you’re qualified for this role … the ball is in your court.
1: Email your resume to Mate Pavkovic at; email@example.com.
2: Ensure the subject line reads; THE RED HAND - 19A23MTCHFBL